Here at Scientia we talk a lot about selfcare and in this crazy busy world we live in the words wellness, self-care and self-love get thrown around daily. But what does it all actually mean? How can it benefit you and how do you practice it?
What is self-care?
the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.
Whether it’s physical, emotional, relational, or spiritual, self-care and well-being reflects the way that we take care of ourselves.
It sounds simple, but practising self-care isn’t always easy. Most of us are crazy busy and have stressful jobs, with me-time being the last thing on the agenda.
The sad thing is a lot of people associate actions of self-care with actions of being selfish, so we feel guilty about taking that time. Somehow, simply taking care of ourselves has become an act of self-involvement or luxury, something to get round to when we have time.
Turns out when we take care of ourselves, we actually have more energy and when we don’t, we’re more likely to feel fatigued and get physical symptoms, like stress-related headaches. The main thing is intentionally taking action and planning moments just for you. When we’re not last on the ‘to-do’ list, we have more energy to do what’s important to us.
5 Ways to Practice Self-Care
There are so many ways to practice self-care it’s all about making small and purposeful efforts, from making sure you sleep for enough hours a day, to spending 10 minutes every morning and evening that’s for you and you alone.
Here’s our favourite ways to practice self-care…
- Self-care can mean something as simple as getting enough sleep. Whether that’s switching your phone off at least 1 hour before bed or winding down with a book and a Lavender scented candle, instead of whatever Netflix show you’ve been binge-watching this week.
- Finding ways to decompress throughout your day, not just when you leave work. We know, we know, finding the time for a mini break at work can sometimes feel IMPOSSIBLE. But you can give your brain a pause with something small and easy. Get up once per hour and get a glass of water, send a quick message to a friend or loved on, go for a walk at lunch, these breaks throughout the day will help to refresh both mind and body.
- Making sure that you're well fed. Are you taking the time to eat breakfast? Are you fuelling your body with food you love (and is good for you?) Eating properly is good for your physical and mental well being, and if you’re a foodie, having something to exciting to eat is always a pick me up.
- Identify a few things you love doing then make a serious effort to integrate it into your day. Plan things to look forward to, whether that’s reading a good book before bed or having dinner with a friend. For us, it’s our skincare routine. Taking 10 minutes each morning and evening to carefully apply your skincare, clearing your mind and making it a daily ritual you enjoy doing (as well as seeing the results!) It’s why we included Pink Pepper, Ginger and Fennel in our Dawn Elixir to pep up your mind in morning and Lavender, Ylang Ylang and Frankincense in our Dusk Elixir to soothe you before bed, all adding to the experiential element of skincare.
- Essentially, take time to love yourself, that’s basically what we mean by Self Love Club!
Dawn Elixir 23 Active Oils for Radiant Skin
Rejuvenated. Radiant. Energised. Our (glowy) little secret…? We wake up with Dawn Elixir! 100% natural, supercharged active oil blend, glow enhancing vitamins A, C & E, and antioxidants banish dullness, boost radiance, hydrate tired skin, and restore balance, whilst also… Read More
Dusk Elixir 23 Active Oils for Calm & Hydrated Skin
Calming. Soothing. Regenerating. It’s time to let our Dusk Elixir soothe you to (beauty) sleep. A blend of 23 one hundred percent natural oils, this powerhouse of antioxidants and fatty acids plumps exhausted skin with hydration. Enriched with Rosehip, Moringa… Read More